Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oh, yeah, btw, I BEAT THE DEMON GLUCOSE!

I will write a post on my trip home last weekend & the wonderful baby shower two of Mom's friends threw for me (thank you again, Sue & Margo!) soon, but that will have to wait until I get all the pictures from Mom.

In the meantime, an update on gestational diabetes. Met with the nutritionist, who was very impressed with with my diet overall - "Clearly, I do not need to tell you to eat more vegetables and lean proteins!" - and gave me a few things to do, like cutting down on carbs a little (especially first thing in the morning), eating only 2 servings of fruit a day but unlimited veggies, making sure every meal & snack includes protein, upping my calcium intake, and drinking unsweetened soy milk in the morning instead of skim milk. The only part I don't like? Unsweetened soy milk. It tastes like slightly rancid liquefied tofu. I hate tofu, always have, always will, have tried it prepared a hundred different ways and there is no changing my mind, tofu is terrible. But, for you, dear daughter, I will do it.

Stuck to the proscribed nutritionist's diet for 3 weeks, then did a postprandial gestational diabetes test. This involves fasting from midnight the night before, then having the nurses take a sample of blood at 8am to get my fasting blood sugar levels. Then, you eat breakfast and wait 2 hours, and they take another sample of blood.

This was on Thursday morning. Friday afternoon, the doctor's office calls. Guess what?
NORMAL GLUCOSE LEVELS, YO!

Gestational diabetes, I no has it! Well, yes and no. They will still be checking my blood sugar regularly for the remainder of the pregnancy, and I have to stick pretty closely to the diet, but NO INSULIN! I beat the demon glucose through diet and exercise, just like I said I would. BOO-FREAKING-YAH!

Not to toot my own horn, but darned if I'm not proud of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Toot toot! You should be proud! That's amazing. Yea for no insulin!

    ReplyDelete