Sunday, April 17, 2011

Name Game



Scene: We're browsing the pregnancy & childcare books at Barnes & Noble at The Grove. Having recently discovered two of my top boy names are in the current top 100 list (gah, no, thanks), I pull a Baby Names Bible from the shelf & go sit down at the B&N Starbucks. Dave joins me & immediately steals my phone to start playing Angry Birds. I decide to see if he's listening to me at all.



J: How about Xackeray?

D: (clearly not paying attention yet) Mm, maybe.

J: Oichiphus?

D: Wait. Huh?

J: Hubert?

D: I think the pregnancy hormones have warped your brain.

J: Kaazim? Cac? Ermintrude? Quatrunadda?

D: Oh, dear God.

J: HERE WE GO! Thorberta! The feminine derivative of Thor!

D: We're leaving now.

J: ....Iddham?

4 comments:

  1. I like Thor for a boy destined for greatness. Not so in to Thorberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we have a Bertha Bickel and a Percy Picton in the family history, what about KAAZIM COWAN! (Nickname KaaZamm) or also the above mentioned Cac Cowan. Love the Blog! Thanks, from one set of Proud Grandparents-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking of all the great names in Hello Dolly!.... Ermengarde, Ambrose, Cornelius, Barnaby, Irene (I actually like that one), Minnie, Horace, Ernestina...a veritable treasure trove of beautiful names! ;)

    ReplyDelete