Saturday, October 29, 2011

Punctuality is for suckahs.


(via)
Monday, 10/24/11:
If one more person asks, "Are you okay?", "How are you feeling?", or "Any baby yet?", I will not be responsible for what comes out of my mouth. I fully realize everyone genuinely cares and is excited for us and the baby, but when you're 9 months pregnant, the size of a house, exhausted, and show no signs of going into labor, NOT having had the kid yet makes you feel like something of a failure. I can't explain why, but it just does. Inform FB that I will be incommunicado 'til baby's born, just to give myself a social media break. Secretly logging in to see who's posting what, though, muah ha ha. 

MIL says she's convinced baby has dropped, and from the pressure, I kind of think it's started to happen, but I don't see a difference when I look in the mirror. Went for a 2.5 mile walk to try and kick things into gear.

Tuesday, 10/25/2011:
Due date, still no baby. MIL accompanied me to my prenatal appt. Dr. B did a cervical check - not dilated at ALL, still "high and tight". Eff. Hooked me up for a non-stress test, involving a heart rate monitor and a kick monitor stripped around the belly, for 15 min. Heartbeat was crazy loud, and baby tried her darnedest to kick the monitors off. Baby deemed in no distress, doing "beautifully".

Dr. B then did a short ultrasound to check the levels of amniotic fluid, which were still fine. I said, "I never thought I'd say this, but puh-leeeze induce?" and he explained that, as of yet, there was no medical need to - a non-induction-happy OBGYN is a rarity these days, I'm very lucky! - so to please come back in on Friday 10/28 if nothing has happened since. 

Ate a highly caloric lunch at Whole Foods (their mac & cheese from the to-go bar is to-die-for), then went to Costco, then had a depressed nap. NOTHING? All these Braxton-Hicks and all this pressure and uncomfortableness, and NOTHING? Baby girl, you'd better be on your way. 

Wednesday, 10/26/11:
Went for 2.75 mile walk in the a.m., blasting peppy songs on my iPhone/Pod/whatever. Lots of pressure when I got back, a couple intense B-H ctx, then nothing. FIL arrived from Ohio, MIL says she was convinced baby was waiting 'til both Cowan grandparents were there. I am doubtful that baby will ever, ever arrive. I am going to be pregnant for. ev. er. EFFFFFFFFFF.

Also, found out that Dave's coworkers have started a poll on when baby will be born, and they're all guessing at least a week late. Meanies. I'd better at least get a cut of the winnings.

Thursday, 10/27/11: 
Another 2.75 mile a.m. walk, a few more intense B-H ctx. Still nothing that says "THIS IS IT, YO!" Do laundry. Putz around house while in-laws go out for beach walk and lunch - in major hibernation mode, don't really feel like socializing, which is bad, because I lucked out and ended up with  in-laws who are really fun to hang out with. Anxiously awaiting appointment tomorrow to see if I can get an induction scheduled before in-laws fly back to Ohio on Tuesday... Although they have very sweetly informed me that this was the risk they took in coming out before the due date, I will feel like a schmuck if they return to Ohio without having met their granddaughter. Plus, if I'm still pregnant on 11/1, I will cry. A lot. And possibly cut someone.

Friday, 10/28/11: Another non-stress test and ultrasound to check amniotic fluid levels, baby is still doing beautifully. My doc still doesn't want to schedule an induction, though, as he'd prefer to let my body do this on its' (it's?) own, so that there will be less chance I'd end up needing a C-section (it's more likely with inductions, since your body isn't fully "ready" for labor). Scheduled another checkup for Monday, Halloween.

FIL's coworkers also apparently now have a pool on when this baby will arrive. One of them said baking cookies is, for some reason, a surefire way to start labor. I make a batch of homemade peanut butter cookies. They are delicious, but they do not do the trick. Oh well. Someone on Facebook suggested making labor-starting cookies - essentially, VERY spicy gingersnaps with cayenne pepper in them. I shall do so tomorrow.

Went out to The Stinking Rose for dinner with Dave and the in-laws, in the hopes that copious amounts of garlic will "spice" the baby out. Delicious dinner, but again, no such luck.

Saturday, 10/29/11:
Another 2.75 mile walk, off to make those labor-starting cookies. Still no baby. [Expletives deleted]

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry she isn't here yet, but this entry has made me chuckle. Maybe she just wants to be a Halloween baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that things haven't gone to plan. Just know that we love you!! Lots and lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing that going past your due date makes you feel pangs of failure makes me feel so sad for you, Janet. I had the exact same feeling when Jack didn't make his entrance "on time". I cried more that last week than the entire pregnancy. Waiting, for us type A folks, is the pits. The only thing that helped me was to think that maybe, just maybe, he wasn't quite done cooking in there and that he would be stronger and healthier if he had a little more time in there. Turns out, this was true. I had a long labor and he never once showed a single sign of distress.

    I also remember actually thinking, "Oh crap, maybe this will be the first baby in the world that just NEVER comes out." Rest assured, if you have thought this ridiculous thought as well, it is isn't true. Your precious one is on the way no doubt. This miserable physical state and extreme emotions that come with waiting will motivate you to get that baby out! You can do this, Janet. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I'm kind of zoning into a "Zen" state at this point, just sort of thinking, "Okay, she'll come when she's ready, and it'll all work out."

    ReplyDelete