Thursday, May 12, 2011

Have a heart(beat)

I had my 16 week prenatal checkup yesterday - standard weight (still losing weight a little bit, but the doctor says that's fine given my size), blood draws, leave a 'sample' in the bathroom, etc. Nothing I haven't done before a frajillion times since finding out I was pregnant.

But.

This week... The doctor busted out the doppler and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat. I've been feeling it move more some days and less others, so I knew it was doing fine, but it was still a wonderful confirmation that our child is alive and thriving in there. It took him a minute to find the heartbeat (a minute in which my own heart stopped), but then I heard this rapid "wompwompwompwompwomp," and he smiled and said, in his Israeli accent, "Perrrfekt." I grinned like the village idiot.

Part of me wants this baby to stay in there, warm and safe, as long as it needs to. The rest of me is so excited for October to get here, so we can meet this sweet little baby and finally hold them. Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue....

2 comments:

  1. Trust me: come October you will be ready to get spawn out of there. If it stays much longer than that things get creepy fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the time to really savor the special moments is difficult with working, sleeping, morning sickness, or just.. living. And then you're all anxious and excited, hoping it's healthy, what will shim look like, sound like when cooing, the first child conversations you'll have. The memories start piling on top of each other. ‘Where did the time go’, you start saying. I wish I had been in the habit of writing or journaling back then. I was so much about enjoying the moment; as it should be, but would just like to have the opportunity, now, to sneak-peak back into those little moments that were so special. Find the time to add a small 'note of the day' journal, then sit back and savor the pregnancy (the ups and the downs), the time alone with just the two of you, as much as you can, as well as when the baby comes. This blog is such a treat, not only for the updates of our little grandchild, but the wonderful way you have of putting things. Add this tangy talent of yours to a journal, and don’t be surprised when your children find them, when they are older, and realize just how much you really loved them. And for you, it will also go a long way into your empty-nester days.

    ReplyDelete